We are moving into self-publishing.
Even if you land an agent, you may put this publishing aside and work with your agent to prepare your book for presentation to publishers. Do not lose this work because in the maze of publishing your book may not be bought. In this case you can restart your self-publishing journey.
We will be discussing three versions of your book that you will publish –
Your paperback book to be sold online (most bookstores will not carry self-published books)
A Kindle version (this will have the interior of your book modified for downloading)
An eBook that will be a text only version of the book published through Smashwords.
Each of these versions will have different prices but your book will be available in many forms across several platforms.
When a writer moves into the seat of the publisher, there are more details to work out.
The words of the book’s story now have equal weight to the cover, blurbs, front matter and formatting.
At this point you must be very careful. Resist the temptation to rewrite or revise the book. The main concern is to prepare the book.
There are a series of chores to do (details will be in the book) but here is the list not in order of priority, but in order of front to back.
These can all be done by the author if you have a working knowledge of Photoshop and Microsoft Word.
If you do not have the ability to design a cover, there are programs that will design the cover for you. We will discuss these later.
The alternative is to hire someone to make the cover for you. You could hire a professional, or perhaps an art or college student. The process is not that hard if you are clear on your plan and do not make constant changes.
i. Sometimes images from the book
ii. Sometimes a generic image like a romantic pose or the Eiffel tower
d. Spine information and design
2. First page
a. Try to get prepublication reviews from influential or well-known personalities
b. Place short quotes on the first page
3. Title page designed
4. Copyright page (can be copied and then modified from a similar book)
5. Author page – this is an optional page that lists the author’s other publications
6. Dedication page – a short paragraph dedicating the book to an individual
7. Acknowledgement page – here you thank you mom, your readers, your family and your copy editor.
8. Table of contents – your chapters listed with page numbers
9. About the author – a paragraph or two that describes your real job and a brief description of your life.
10. Back page
a. Image or design
b. Back page two paragraphs to entice the reader to buy the book similar to your pitch
We will go into the details of these pages in future blogs
Remember, your job is to prepare your book for publishing.
If you decide to rewrite the text, take a week or two and dedicate that time to the rewrite, then you’ll have to make sure the revision has been copy edited again. You do not want mistakes or typos in your book.
In the next installment of this blog there will be a template to format your book, with text boxes that contain advice. You should delete the text boxes if you are using that template for you book.
Be forewarned that this link will only work for a short time. This is a bonus for my readers. The link will disappear shortly and be reposted elsewhere when these posts will be included in the upcoming 3by3 book.
lots of good stuff
- September 2015 (4)
- August 2015 (3)
- May 2014 (2)
- February 2014 (1)
- January 2014 (1)
- December 2013 (3)
- November 2013 (6)
- June 2013 (1)
- May 2013 (3)
- April 2013 (4)
- February 2013 (12)
- January 2013 (2)
- August 2012 (4)
- July 2012 (7)
- June 2012 (17)
- May 2012 (4)
- April 2012 (2)
- March 2012 (1)
- February 2012 (7)
- January 2012 (10)
- December 2011 (15)
- November 2011 (35)
- October 2011 (40)
- @kathygriffin Girl, Happy new Year! From D list to super A list 2 years ago
- Here’s a site worth reading – an agent’s blog 3by3writingmethod.com/heres-a-site-w… 2 years ago
- Here's a YA novel writing contest to consider from Writer's Digest: tinyurl.com/nz6n2p8 @chucksambuchino 2 years ago
- YA Novel contest for everyone 3by3writingmethod.com/ya-novel-conte… 2 years ago
- last day free book amazon.com/Rick-Renee-Fat… 2 years ago
- amazon.com/Rick-Renee-Fat… 2 years ago
- Two days only! Rick, Renee and the Fat Man - free kindle down load. Here's the link: amazon.com/Rick-Renee-Fat… 2 years ago
- Free book on Kindle 3by3writingmethod.com/free-book-on-k… 2 years ago
- 3by3writingmethod.com The next generation! 2 years ago
- amazon.com/Rick-Renee-Fat… http://t.co/wdAv95gphY 2 years ago