There are times in our project when we can’t get into our character’s emotions and it’s not the book or plot that’s blocked. Sometimes it’s us.
As writers we are often actors. We write a character’s actions and dialogue by putting ourselves in that person’s “shoes”; by playing their part.
But when our critique partners or readers offer the observation that our characters are flat, that the goals of the main character are obscured and that we are avoiding the emotions of our cast, it can be that we as authors are putting up the blocks.
When we use our own imagination for our writing, it means we have to dig deep and not shy away from uncomfortable and embarrassing emotion.
Authors writing memoirs have an even more threatening challenge in that they cannot cloak their revelations in a character because the story is about them
In order to touch our readers, it sometimes requires us to go into places, in our minds, that others dare not venture.
Sometimes we have to take the risk of some relative looking at us and wonder if we’ve considered plunging an ice pic into a teen’s eye, blowing up a charted bus of elderly gamblers or bungee jumping off a the Golden Gate bridge.
Confronting our own demons and fears are requirements for being an honest, interesting author.
lots of good stuff
- September 2015 (4)
- August 2015 (3)
- May 2014 (2)
- February 2014 (1)
- January 2014 (1)
- December 2013 (3)
- November 2013 (6)
- June 2013 (1)
- May 2013 (3)
- April 2013 (4)
- February 2013 (12)
- January 2013 (2)
- August 2012 (4)
- July 2012 (7)
- June 2012 (17)
- May 2012 (4)
- April 2012 (2)
- March 2012 (1)
- February 2012 (7)
- January 2012 (10)
- December 2011 (15)
- November 2011 (35)
- October 2011 (40)
- @kathygriffin Girl, Happy new Year! From D list to super A list 3 years ago
- Here’s a site worth reading – an agent’s blog 3by3writingmethod.com/heres-a-site-w… 3 years ago
- Here's a YA novel writing contest to consider from Writer's Digest: tinyurl.com/nz6n2p8 @chucksambuchino 3 years ago
- YA Novel contest for everyone 3by3writingmethod.com/ya-novel-conte… 3 years ago
- last day free book amazon.com/Rick-Renee-Fat… 3 years ago
- amazon.com/Rick-Renee-Fat… 3 years ago
- Two days only! Rick, Renee and the Fat Man - free kindle down load. Here's the link: amazon.com/Rick-Renee-Fat… 3 years ago
- Free book on Kindle 3by3writingmethod.com/free-book-on-k… 3 years ago
- 3by3writingmethod.com The next generation! 3 years ago
- amazon.com/Rick-Renee-Fat… http://t.co/wdAv95gphY 3 years ago