It never fails. I’m in the middle of a book – the hard part; first draft, working on scenes, creating more conflict, trying not to go back into those first few chapters and make them better, now that I know so much more about my characters and their desires.
Then it hits me – this awesome story idea. It’s absolutely great! Pathos, love, conflict and a very clear plot. Of course the details aren’t worked out, but it’s a wonderful idea. I make notes, I so want to chase after this one. It taunts me, beckons and flirts, but I am committed to this one, so I open a file, make some notes and watch her disappear around the corner.
A week later another one hits. This one is just as good. But I know what’s happening. It’s like being in the middle of a relationship when a beautiful opportunity appears, unencumbered by history or a murky past.
Don’t fall for it. It’s a trick. Because if you fall in love with that story, eight months later, while you are deep in the throes of figuring that one out, another beauty will walk by.
The beginning of a story is full of promise, easy love and the hope that this time, it will be simple, powered by fresh emotion, creativity and enthusiasm. It never is. Just like a serious relationship, the book requires work, commitment and renewed vows.
It’s not a word fling or one night’s ramblings or a summer’s month of abandoned joy.
But I write the idea down… because, sooner or later, I will want to fall in love again.
lots of good stuff
- September 2015 (4)
- August 2015 (3)
- May 2014 (2)
- February 2014 (1)
- January 2014 (1)
- December 2013 (3)
- November 2013 (6)
- June 2013 (1)
- May 2013 (3)
- April 2013 (4)
- February 2013 (12)
- January 2013 (2)
- August 2012 (4)
- July 2012 (7)
- June 2012 (17)
- May 2012 (4)
- April 2012 (2)
- March 2012 (1)
- February 2012 (7)
- January 2012 (10)
- December 2011 (15)
- November 2011 (35)
- October 2011 (40)
- @kathygriffin Girl, Happy new Year! From D list to super A list 1 year ago
- Here’s a site worth reading – an agent’s blog 3by3writingmethod.com/heres-a-site-w… 2 years ago
- Here's a YA novel writing contest to consider from Writer's Digest: tinyurl.com/nz6n2p8 @chucksambuchino 2 years ago
- YA Novel contest for everyone 3by3writingmethod.com/ya-novel-conte… 2 years ago
- last day free book amazon.com/Rick-Renee-Fat… 2 years ago
- amazon.com/Rick-Renee-Fat… 2 years ago
- Two days only! Rick, Renee and the Fat Man - free kindle down load. Here's the link: amazon.com/Rick-Renee-Fat… 2 years ago
- Free book on Kindle 3by3writingmethod.com/free-book-on-k… 2 years ago
- 3by3writingmethod.com The next generation! 2 years ago
- amazon.com/Rick-Renee-Fat… http://t.co/wdAv95gphY 2 years ago