Writers often pride themselves on researching locations, weather, equipment and geographical descriptions. With Google earth we can drive down roads and explore the exterior storefronts, peer up cliffs and find a gap in the guard rail along that solitary road. We use the internet to read about island currents and the feeding habit of toads.
But how much of this detail is needed for the reader? The writer needs as much information a possible, but the reader?
Do we need to describe the four gnarled trees before the curve by the bridge that crosses a fifty foot dry arroyo as our hero careens down the narrow two lane road with pothole in causing a gap in the double yellow line he is following?
I think the answer is obvious. However, keeping those notes handy, small bits can be added to the story to make it come alive. However, our main purpose as writers is to convey emotions not a historical guide of military maneuvers. Yes, we have to describe the environment and yes we want to bring our readers to new places and distant lands. But even the description of a landscape is to evoke a feeling, an experience not a geography lesson.
Those magnificent Tetons should have a reason for being included in the story, not just a picture on our literary the wall.
lots of good stuff
- September 2015 (4)
- August 2015 (3)
- May 2014 (2)
- February 2014 (1)
- January 2014 (1)
- December 2013 (3)
- November 2013 (6)
- June 2013 (1)
- May 2013 (3)
- April 2013 (4)
- February 2013 (12)
- January 2013 (2)
- August 2012 (4)
- July 2012 (7)
- June 2012 (17)
- May 2012 (4)
- April 2012 (2)
- March 2012 (1)
- February 2012 (7)
- January 2012 (10)
- December 2011 (15)
- November 2011 (35)
- October 2011 (40)
- @kathygriffin Girl, Happy new Year! From D list to super A list 3 years ago
- Here’s a site worth reading – an agent’s blog 3by3writingmethod.com/heres-a-site-w… 4 years ago
- Here's a YA novel writing contest to consider from Writer's Digest: tinyurl.com/nz6n2p8 @chucksambuchino 4 years ago
- YA Novel contest for everyone 3by3writingmethod.com/ya-novel-conte… 4 years ago
- last day free book amazon.com/Rick-Renee-Fat… 4 years ago
- amazon.com/Rick-Renee-Fat… 4 years ago
- Two days only! Rick, Renee and the Fat Man - free kindle down load. Here's the link: amazon.com/Rick-Renee-Fat… 4 years ago
- Free book on Kindle 3by3writingmethod.com/free-book-on-k… 4 years ago
- 3by3writingmethod.com The next generation! 4 years ago
- amazon.com/Rick-Renee-Fat… http://t.co/wdAv95gphY 4 years ago