I hate working without a title page. I know I should have a separate file for this silly contact information thing that hangs out in the front of my manuscript and messes with the page count, but I like to print one file. Wow is that lazy or what?
Anyway, once I get past page 5 the lower left page count means nothing until I reach 300.
So here is my solution to having a title page, yet starting the text on page one.
First get a title page and at least two pages of text.
Now, the fun part.
Go to the tab marked Insert. Just to the right of center is an icon called page number. Click on that and select top of page, plain number 3. Now you have a numbered header.
Click on that same icon again and five choices down click on page number, this will bring up a dialogue box at the bottom of which is a “start at” and you put in 0 in the blank space.
Now go to the tab labeled “page layout”. At the bottom right of the second section, called “page setup” is a tiny little icon like an arrow. Click on that and you get a “page setup” dialogue box. On the tab labeled “layout” is a selection called “different first page” check that box.
Now go to the second page and double click at the top, which will enable your header, and I would strongly suggest typing “(“ then “c” then “)” which will suddenly become ©, your name then your book title. Hit the space bar to push this title to the center or left of the page.
Double click on your body text to exit out of the header.
Maybe you don’t want a copyright symbol in your manuscript, but you should have your name and title on every page.
Now your title page is within the manuscript, but your first page is numbered with the number 1.
Oh yeah! Headers baby!
lots of good stuff
- September 2015 (4)
- August 2015 (3)
- May 2014 (2)
- February 2014 (1)
- January 2014 (1)
- December 2013 (3)
- November 2013 (6)
- June 2013 (1)
- May 2013 (3)
- April 2013 (4)
- February 2013 (12)
- January 2013 (2)
- August 2012 (4)
- July 2012 (7)
- June 2012 (17)
- May 2012 (4)
- April 2012 (2)
- March 2012 (1)
- February 2012 (7)
- January 2012 (10)
- December 2011 (15)
- November 2011 (35)
- October 2011 (40)
- @kathygriffin Girl, Happy new Year! From D list to super A list 3 years ago
- Here’s a site worth reading – an agent’s blog 3by3writingmethod.com/heres-a-site-w… 3 years ago
- Here's a YA novel writing contest to consider from Writer's Digest: tinyurl.com/nz6n2p8 @chucksambuchino 3 years ago
- YA Novel contest for everyone 3by3writingmethod.com/ya-novel-conte… 3 years ago
- last day free book amazon.com/Rick-Renee-Fat… 3 years ago
- amazon.com/Rick-Renee-Fat… 4 years ago
- Two days only! Rick, Renee and the Fat Man - free kindle down load. Here's the link: amazon.com/Rick-Renee-Fat… 4 years ago
- Free book on Kindle 3by3writingmethod.com/free-book-on-k… 4 years ago
- 3by3writingmethod.com The next generation! 4 years ago
- amazon.com/Rick-Renee-Fat… http://t.co/wdAv95gphY 4 years ago