What do Romeo and Juliet, Twilight, The Great Gatsby, War and Peace, Catch 22 and Jurassic Park have in common? Constant Contained Conflict. All great stories have CCC. Certainly there are other elements involved in the creation of impressive writings, but one of those elements is CCC both from the outside and within a character.
Conflict both internally and externally drive stories forward, especially with a protagonist who is pursuing a goal (or in some cases being pursued).
The contained portion of the conflict usually has something to do with emotional ties, although physical containment can also add to the intensity of the conflict. Your story must contain constant contained conflict if it is to maintain the reader’s (and your) interest over the time it takes to read (or write) the book. It is not only whether the conflict will be resolved, but how. There will be large conflicts – between the protagonist and the bully, culminating with a show down with the antagonist. There will be small conflicts – which way to go, fighting over a plan, a girl, a weapon, a trail.
There will also be conflicts within the characters (should I do it? Should I tell her? Can I conquer my fear of ….).
Without conflict a story lies flat. Even a biography or historical novel has conflict or it becomes a boring litany of details.
lots of good stuff
- September 2015 (4)
- August 2015 (3)
- May 2014 (2)
- February 2014 (1)
- January 2014 (1)
- December 2013 (3)
- November 2013 (6)
- June 2013 (1)
- May 2013 (3)
- April 2013 (4)
- February 2013 (12)
- January 2013 (2)
- August 2012 (4)
- July 2012 (7)
- June 2012 (17)
- May 2012 (4)
- April 2012 (2)
- March 2012 (1)
- February 2012 (7)
- January 2012 (10)
- December 2011 (15)
- November 2011 (35)
- October 2011 (40)
- @kathygriffin Girl, Happy new Year! From D list to super A list 3 years ago
- Here’s a site worth reading – an agent’s blog 3by3writingmethod.com/heres-a-site-w… 4 years ago
- Here's a YA novel writing contest to consider from Writer's Digest: tinyurl.com/nz6n2p8 @chucksambuchino 4 years ago
- YA Novel contest for everyone 3by3writingmethod.com/ya-novel-conte… 4 years ago
- last day free book amazon.com/Rick-Renee-Fat… 4 years ago
- amazon.com/Rick-Renee-Fat… 4 years ago
- Two days only! Rick, Renee and the Fat Man - free kindle down load. Here's the link: amazon.com/Rick-Renee-Fat… 4 years ago
- Free book on Kindle 3by3writingmethod.com/free-book-on-k… 4 years ago
- 3by3writingmethod.com The next generation! 4 years ago
- amazon.com/Rick-Renee-Fat… http://t.co/wdAv95gphY 4 years ago