She’s at her desk and this envelope drops on her desk – hand addressed (or worse – computer labeled which means the guy sent out a thousand of these)
She opens it. The SASE drops out. She reads the first two lines.
This is it, you have two sentences. If there is a grammatical error, or misspelling you are sunk.
If you sent a sci-fi query to a children’s book agent, you are sunk.
What are you going to put in those first two sentences that will lure her in… entice her to read more. You can’t shock her, she’s seen it all.
And when she’s pleased with the grammar, the content, the wording can you show in so few words that your book is full of interesting conflict, dynamic characters and has a great ending? Can you, in one page, make her scribble on your letter “I’m interested send first three chapters”?
What are you going to do? You are going to work on those first two sentences for a week and the letter for three.
“Hey, it’s an email” Doesn’t matter you have maybe three sentences tops.
Your story is not unique, there are only so many plots. Your style is not known to the world, who cares about your prose?
But your query must be awesome.
What would encourage you to keep reading? You only have two sentences to get her to like you and one page to win her over.
What will you…. write.
lots of good stuff
- September 2015 (4)
- August 2015 (3)
- May 2014 (2)
- February 2014 (1)
- January 2014 (1)
- December 2013 (3)
- November 2013 (6)
- June 2013 (1)
- May 2013 (3)
- April 2013 (4)
- February 2013 (12)
- January 2013 (2)
- August 2012 (4)
- July 2012 (7)
- June 2012 (17)
- May 2012 (4)
- April 2012 (2)
- March 2012 (1)
- February 2012 (7)
- January 2012 (10)
- December 2011 (15)
- November 2011 (35)
- October 2011 (40)
- @kathygriffin Girl, Happy new Year! From D list to super A list 2 years ago
- Here’s a site worth reading – an agent’s blog 3by3writingmethod.com/heres-a-site-w… 2 years ago
- Here's a YA novel writing contest to consider from Writer's Digest: tinyurl.com/nz6n2p8 @chucksambuchino 2 years ago
- YA Novel contest for everyone 3by3writingmethod.com/ya-novel-conte… 2 years ago
- last day free book amazon.com/Rick-Renee-Fat… 2 years ago
- amazon.com/Rick-Renee-Fat… 2 years ago
- Two days only! Rick, Renee and the Fat Man - free kindle down load. Here's the link: amazon.com/Rick-Renee-Fat… 2 years ago
- Free book on Kindle 3by3writingmethod.com/free-book-on-k… 2 years ago
- 3by3writingmethod.com The next generation! 2 years ago
- amazon.com/Rick-Renee-Fat… http://t.co/wdAv95gphY 2 years ago